Hello Everyone! It’s time for Block 2 of Save the Bees (STB) free BOM by Jacquleynne Steves. Be sure to visit Jacquelynne for additional information and tips for this block. Our sponsors this month are EvaPaige Quilt Designs and New Leaf Stitches. All the information for winning this month’s Giveaway is at the bottom of this post.
This month’s block is another cute flower and bee combination.
Remember I am making a mini version of STB, so my unfinished block size is 5 1/2″ x 9 1/2″. I am excited that some of you will be making the mini version, too. You can find the revised directions for this month on my Save The Bees Mini Revisions page. Just a few reminders:
- Transfer the revised numbers onto the original pattern. These directions only have the size conversions for this block, you must have Jacquelynne’s original directions to make the block. (It’s not too late to sign up for this BOM. Once you do, you will receive Blocks 1 and 2 by email, then receive the next blocks on the first Monday of the month).
- Print the applique pages at 50% scale. The pattern is on two pages so you will need to tape them together. The scale line should be 1/2 inch. (Picture shown is block 1).
- Starch the fabric for the pieced units (not the applique background) before cutting your pieces. This helps get nice accurate results.
I needle turned the applique using Aurifil 50 wt Mako Cotton thread in matching colors. The thread is so nice to use in applique. It’s strong and thin and disappears beautifully into the applique. Aurifil will be sponsoring a giveaway soon, too. I added a few embroidery touches on the leaves and embroidered my bee because of the size. The thread shown in the picture is Aurifloss, which I used for the embroidery stitches in STB.
Did you notice the piecing in this block is made with Half Rectangle Units and not Half Square Units. Jacquleynne has a very good tutorial on making Half Rectangle Units. Make sure you read through the tutorial and view the video before making them if you haven’t made them before.
Here are blocks 1 and 2 together. I like my quilts to have a controlled scrappy look so I use different fabrics in the same color. To keep it cohesive though, I used the same applique and pieced background.
Now for the giveaway:
In the comments below, tell me if you have a favorite fall activity. For us, we like to camp in our RV once the weather cools a little bit. We have two trips already planned and hope to get a quick trip in in November, too.
To enter a comment, find the Leave a Reply box. You must keep scrolling to the bottom of all the comments on the page to find the box. If the comments are not shown below the post (which will happen if you are scrolling from or linking from a different post) find “Comments” in the Tags line at the bottom of the post. Click on “Comments” and that will open the comments, then scroll to the bottom of the page to find the Leave a Reply box. I hope this helps.
- The giveaway is open to everyone, US and International readers.
- There is ONE prize per person per month.
- Make sure that you leave your email so I can contact you if you win.
- You have until the end of day on Sunday, September 9 to leave your comment.
- Once I contact the winner for your information, you have 72 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen.
Be sure you visit the other bloggers for 7 more chances to win and to see how everyone finished their Block 2.
- The Crafty Quilter
- Podunk Pretties
- The Quilting Nook
- The Sewing Loft
- Flamingo Toes
- Kathy’s Quilts
- Freemotion by the River
- A Quilting Life
Post your finished blocks on social media using:
#SaveTheBeesQuilt and #SaveTheBeesBOM
You can also post pictures on the Sew Quilty Friends FB group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/SewQuiltyFriends.JacquelynneSteves/.
Before you go, I want to remind you that my Scattered Leaves and Pumpkins Pillow and Mini Quilt pattern is on sale through the end of Labor Day (Monday, Sept 3).
Thanks for stopping by and have fun making Save the Bees, Block 2!