Hello Everyone and welcome to Works in Progress Wednesday! September is here and is shaping up to be a busy month for us. I’m also looking forward to some cooler weather by the end of the month. I do want to send out my thoughts and prayers to anyone who has been in the path of Hurricane Ida and the west coast fires. It is always heartbreaking to see the devastation these disasters leave in their wake. We will be getting rain from Ida as it moves up the coast, but nothing like the gulf coast unless it slows down or stalls.
Moving on to stitching this week, I fully finished two items and made good progress on a couple of more.
Fresh Picked Pumpkins got finished just in time for the end of Cross Stitch Camp hosted by Sheri, Colorado Cross Stitcher. I used most of the called for colors and stitched on Lori Holt’s 25 ct Vintage Lugana in Cloud, one over one.
I had the unpainted pumpkin from Target for a few years and finally found a good use for it. Most of the colors are mixed and then I used an Antique Wax on top. It turned the two lighter colors almost brown, so I repainted them. It’s not the best paint job, but the stitched piece covers most of it.
I’ve also had the pumpkin ribbon for a couple of years and finally was able to use that, too. I think it added just the right touch to the finish. It’s a little early for my pumpkin things, but I’ll be happy to put these out near the end of September.
In case you are wondering, that’s my Scattered Leaves and Pumpkins Pillow or Mini Quilt pattern that can be found in my Esty shop. Obviously, I don’t have the pillow insert in it yet. Making pillow covers are very versatile depending on how you make them. I almost always make my pillow covers with an envelope back so they can also be used as a table topper. The pattern does include instructions for just making the mini quilt without the pillow back.
My second fully finished piece is Harvest Chalk Full by Hands On Design and Priscilla Blain of Stitching with the Housewives. This was the first release in the Chalk Full series and the only full jar I’ve done to date. I finished it almost two years ago, and never could decide how I wanted to fully finish it. I finally decided this weekend that it needed to get done. I’ve also had the “frame” with a clip on it for a while, too. I either got it at Target or Kohl’s. The piece didn’t look good on the gray, so I painted it with some Opaque White Acrylic paint. It covered it enough and gives it a washed out look. For now, I stuck a few small sunflower picks between the boards. Harvest will be good to display through September and early October. Each of the Chalk Full patterns comes with a small and I’ve done them all except the Halloween one, Boo.
Moving on to my current works in progress, I only worked on two other pieces this week because I needed to finish Fresh Picked Pumpkins.
I made some good progress on Cinnamon Stars by Plum Street Samplers once I finished Fresh Picked Pumpkins. I did change the color of the pumpkins to Weeks Sweet Potato instead of GA Sarsaparilla. The chart was originally published in 2013. What I’m finding with some of these older charts is that the dye lots for the floss have changed over the years, especially Gentle Arts. I really do like my pumpkins to be orange. Most of the stars use the Sarsaparilla, but I will also be changing some of those out for a brighter color. The Sarsaparilla is the brown color on the left and bottom points of the star.
Except for the backstitching in this sections, the left side of Scenic Farm is finished! Yippee! The last bit of backstitching took me almost two weeks to finish, but I don’t think there is that much in this section. Once I have it finished, I’ll take a good picture of the entire piece so far. I hope by next week, I’ve moved on to the next section, but it is the Blackbird Weekend SAL this weekend (the first weekend of the month). I don’t know if it’s because this is almost a full coverage piece, but it the fabric is definitely skewed slightly. I will have to give it a good blocking before framing it to straighten it out.
I got a new book this week, Sisters by Blackbird Designs. What really drew me to it is the sampler on the bottom right. It’s got all that orange in it! I know I won’t get to it for a while, but I did just order some of the floss for it. I may have to stitch the basket on the left with the crow sitting on top of the berries and make a small pillow with it. That would be doable this fall.
I am also going to stitch one of Melisa’s, Pinker n Punkin Quilting and Stitching, autumn saltboxes. She has several to choose from.
That’s it for me today. I hope you are safe and well. Thanks for stopping by!