Hello Everyone, Happy Valentines Day! We are on the road today to Greenville, MS, but I have a Valentines Finish-A-Long I want to share. You can find my FAL list here.
This my mini for the February Minis and More Parade hosted by Sherri and Michele. We were to use pink and red in any design that we wanted. This is my original design and a little more modern looking than what I usually make. I have to be honest, I’m not much of a heart person, but I do like how this came out. I’ve seen a lot of pieced hearts on IG but I didn’t want to spend the time figuring out the cutting dimensions. I thought it would be easier to applique the hearts and I was right. The mini is 12″ by 12″, just the right size to fit on my little quilt stand in the foyer.
The quilting inspiration came from the workshop I took with Christa Watson. I used the Hera tool to mark the straight lines and it worked out really well. It was a little hard to see on the black, but the marks didn’t fade which is something I was worried about. I used my walking foot to quilt it. The heart is quilted in the ditch and it’s all quilted with 50 wt Aurifil thread.
You can see the quilting better from the back. Also, you can see where I got lazy and backstitched at the heart. The thing is, from the front you can’t see it with the black on black, so it saved me a little time.
The big heart started like this…
These are strips and scraps leftover from cutting the swoon blocks and hexie Blocks on the Go for Quilts that Grow. I cut different widths for the strips and sewed them together.
I pressed all the seams open to make the piece lay flatter.
Because I cannot not draw very well, I found two heart designs on my Quiltmaker quilting designs CD that I’ve had for a long time. I liked that neither one was a perfectly symmetric.
I traced the design onto the fusible side of lightweight interfacing. I used fusible because that’s what I had, but sew in would probably be better so you don’t have to worry about which side to draw on.
I placed the fusible side up and placed it on my fabric until I thought is looked good, then sewed on the traced line.
I clipped the curves, then cut a slit in the interfacing and turned it. I repeated this method with the small heart on the single piece of fabric.
Now I have two nicely rounded hearts! My original idea was to use gray fabric for the background, but when I put the strips on top of my black Grunge by Basic Grey for Moda, I knew that was what I needed to use.
My daughter’s NSISC Swim and Dive Championship is this week in Cleveland, MS at Delta State. We’re excited to be able to see her and the team swim, but I think I’ll be working on some embroidery during the meet.
Thanks for stopping by.