Hello Everyone! I hope you’ve had a good week. It’s been busy here, running normal errands, dentist appointments, a sew day at the LQS and a swim meet. I’ve also been busy with my project for The Art of Home Club by Jacquelynne Steves. It’s going to be the project for February.
Here’s most of it, cut out and partially sewn earlier this week. This picture shows my least favorite process of quilting, trimming! It has to be done, however, to get accurate blocks. I hope to have this completely finished by the end of this week so I can send it to Jacquelynne.
While I was piecing the club blocks, I added in Sherri’s 2017 Quilting Life BOM blocks to my chain piecing.
I was only going to make the 6″ blocks, but I saw these Pondicherry Fabrics by French General for Moda and picked up some fat quarters to make the 12″ blocks,too.
I’m making the 6″ block out of some Figtree fabrics that I have in my stash. I’m using Desert Bloom by Sherri and Chelsi for Moda for the background.
Here’s a construction tip for you:
You can see one of my geese was off a little. I always try to match points and intersections. I can deal with a smaller seam allowance when piecing the blocks together. I also won’t trim the blocks until they are all made so they will all be the same size.
It’s not too late to make this month’s block. February’s block will be out around the 5th.
Since my last post was about the 2017 Finish-A-Long, I haven’t shown you my finished Blocks on the Go for Quilts that Grow. I was able to complete them on my trip a few weeks ago, then appliqued them when we went to Birmingham for a swim meet.
These are numbers 48, 49, 50 and 51 and finally…
Number 52, Katja! I was happy to get these finished, but then I realized that at least 50% of the work was done while I was traveling last year and sewing with my friends. We plan on doing as much or a little more traveling this year. I’m going to have to come up with something to work on. I do have some embroidery to catch up on and an applique quilt that I started several years ago. I’m sure I’ll have plenty to work on. Maybe even a new pair of knitted socks.
I went to a paper piecing sewing day this week at my LQS (although I don’t really paper piece) and started putting my blocks together.
I’m using the feather stitch on my machine to piece these together with Superior Bottom Line thread. The thread is usually used in the bobbins of long arm machines. It’s very thin and strong and goes a long way. I like it because you can see the stitches, but they don’t stand out too much because I will be quilting over them. I’ll get a close up when I work on this again. I’ve put it aside until I finish the Art of Home Club project.
One last thing:
You’ve seen this if you follow me on Instagram, but these are my fabrics for the Swoon quilt along on IG, #swoonalong, if you want to follow along. I have the background fabrics cut out too, but haven’t had a chance to piece any of them together yet. Hope to get back to this soon.
Yesterday, we attended my daughter’s last dual swim meet at Emory. Just a short drive this time. Next up is the conference meet in Cleveland, Mississippi in three weeks. I definitely need something to work on there. Hope you have a good and productive week. Thanks for stopping by.