Lots of Hand Quilting and Other Things

Hello! I hope everyone had a great weekend. We actually had a great week, enjoying a little staycation while my daughter was home on spring break. The weather was perfect all week and we started off by doing some shopping and picking up my quilts from the Bulloch Hall Quilt Show.

This was a good first show to enter. The quilts were not judged except for viewer’s choice.

Next, we went to Cartersville, GA to the Booth Western Museum to see an Ansel Adams exhibit and on the way home, we stopped by the Euharlee Covered Bridge and did some picture taking.

We also visited the Georgia Aquarium. By the end of the week, we took some time just to chill, so I was able to get some quilting in.

IMG_0757

I almost finished the T-shirt quilt top. I have to add a boarder to the sides. Right now it is long and narrow. I’ll get the backing this week, then hopefully have it put together so I can start quilting it next week. I’m already thinking about how to quilt it. I’m really not a fan of meandering, but I may end up doing that just on the T-shirts. Also, thread color is another choice I have to make. I usually like the thread to blend, but with such a contrast between the black and cream, I’m thinking maybe a clear or smokey mono-filament might work better.

I also got some hand quilting done on the Stars Around the Garden.

IMG_0762 (2)

Because it was so nice, I was able to take it outside on the back screen porch to work on it. Don’t look to closely at the messy floor. I did sweep it out, but didn’t drag the vacuum out to do a better job. By the weekend, we were already seeing the pollen on the cars. For the next 3-4 weeks, the porch will be unusable because of the pollen it collects.  But after the pollen is gone, everything gets a good cleaning so we can enjoy it again.

After my daughter left on Sunday, I was able to get a few things done. One was to get my sewing area cleaned up. I have several things going on, so they were all out on the table. I need room to spread out the T-shirt quilt so I can spray baste it.

I finished my last two Blocks on the Go hexagon pieces for March.

Now it’s time to get them ready to applique.

IMG_0765
First, I place the pieced hexagon onto the background hexagon and measure around each side so they are even.

IMG_0771 (2)

Next I use a little Roxanne’s Glue-Baste-It to hold it down. This way, I don’t have to use pins that will get in the way while I applique. While I’m basting, I line the corners up with the background corners. Sometimes, they may need to be stretched or compressed to fit the corners just right.

IMG_0772 (3)

Now it’s already to go. Since I am going to machine quilt this, I applique down the ends of the corners on the background, too. If you want to join in, check out Katja’s Blocks on the Go quilt along.

Hope you enjoyed the pics of our staycation. Thanks for stopping by.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Blocks on the Go, for Quilts that Grow, The New Hexagon and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Lots of Hand Quilting and Other Things

  1. Lydia S says:

    Sounds like a great spring break. Haven’t been to the Booth Museum in a long time. I’m making progress on my projects, but sometimes it feels like I’m not really making any progress!

    Like

  2. Pingback: A Finish and Something New | The Quilting Nook

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s